You are not alone!

Do you listen to your teen or early twenty-something speak to his/her peers and not understand what they are talking about? Did you ever think that you would be this clueless? Do you feel like the tools that worked for you while becoming an adult are prehistoric in the face of today's technology and the changed world? Let's talk about it, because we need to help each other!

Wednesday, April 7, 2010

It is not my life

A month+ has gone by, and while I must admit I was reading a good book that had nothing to do with parenting... it wasn't that good! Is this why "real people" bloggers end up not writing as frequently as they thought they would? And why would I assume that I am more "real" than the people that actually do consistently blog? Whatever...as my daughter has taught me to say.

The latest news here is that the my husband and I are in agreement that my son needs to change his habits and that the rubber has met the road as we have agreed to "just say no" to constant internet availability in our home. Do you have teenagers or young twenty-somethings? Do you understand the magnitude of this decision? We have one very unhappy young man! Could it be that this gives him some incentive to really look for work? Could it be that this motivates him to move on and move out? Could it be that this means that we have daily arguments, including phone calls while I'm at work, where I have to say... "so sad... that is just the way it is... get a job... I love you... I know you can do better..." and so on? Hopefully he will have more incentive to look for work... and I can assure you that we do have arguments daily! He is taking a full load at Community College, but the fact remains that he spends the rest of his time "on-line" one way or another. He is 20... I love him to death... he needs to figure himself out, and ultimately... it is not my problem... it is his problem... and even though I would like to take it on as my own (after all... I am his Mother), I cannot. It is his life... it is not my life. He is not a child...he grew up, and while I may have had other ideas about what that would look like for my 20 year old son, he is what he is and I need to remove myself from what he decides he will be for two reasons: The first is that it is his decision and the second is that it is not in my control anyway... wake up Mom and face the music... it is what it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment