You are not alone!

Do you listen to your teen or early twenty-something speak to his/her peers and not understand what they are talking about? Did you ever think that you would be this clueless? Do you feel like the tools that worked for you while becoming an adult are prehistoric in the face of today's technology and the changed world? Let's talk about it, because we need to help each other!

Friday, February 26, 2010

Living life with no time to write about it!

It has been pointed out to me that I have not written for quite some time. Unfortunately this does not mean that the issues have gone away... I have just been so involved with the issues that I did not care to revisit them after living through them. This is counter-productive because writing is a wonderful way of processing reality... so here I am again!

What is really cool about not being too much of a helicopter parent is to see how the consequences of the actions of our children play out in their lives to teach them the lessons we have tried to drum into them... but to no avail. So, if you wait and don't try to pour information that simply will not be heard (no matter how excellent and helpful) into the ears of your functionally deaf kids, you will see what happens based on what they did. If the resulting difficulties weren't happening to our beloved flesh and blood it would be tempting to say: "I told you so." I think the Love and Logic gurus tell us to say: "Bummer." The point being that they get to figure it out based on their own experience. The minute I have pointed out the obvious in the hope that my child will get it is the same minute that they tell me that I'm wrong and all of a sudden the issue has become about me being negative or discouraging and whatever the issue was spirals into what it isn't and the possibility of learning is really compromised. Don't give them something to push against because they will push... period.

More tomorrow on what this dynamic looks like in my home. I'm off to read a good book that has nothing to do with parenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment