You are not alone!

Do you listen to your teen or early twenty-something speak to his/her peers and not understand what they are talking about? Did you ever think that you would be this clueless? Do you feel like the tools that worked for you while becoming an adult are prehistoric in the face of today's technology and the changed world? Let's talk about it, because we need to help each other!

Monday, January 11, 2010

Catching up to life and life catching up... help!

Blogging is an interesting thing as compared to keeping a journal. When I have written in a journal the thoughts are for my own contemplation as I write, and for later as I go back and read them. Here I write with the possibility of it being read which changes the nature of what I write. Good... bad... or just different? I will figure it out as I go, which is how most of life is lived!

This has been an interesting week as we adjust and settle in to having my son back at home after being mostly gone for nearly a year and a half. It has caused problems between my husband and myself, and problems in general. I have second guessed myself constantly about our choice to not try to have my son stay at his University. It would have been the easiest thing to do in many ways, yet likely not the most beneficial for him in terms of him really taking responsibility for his own mistakes. The big question is how much he has to feel the consequences to get the point without drowning and perpetuating the failure, and what my role is in allowing the consequences to teach him to the point where he will get it but not to the point that I'm rescuing him. This is where I need support, because I have not done this before.

My husband and I are attempting to set up some boundaries with my son that we can both live with in terms of household issues... such as times for electronics to be off, times to wake up, job searching, and help around the house. The job issue is really difficult given the economy. There isn't much out there, but my son has to at least try and look. How do we measure this? Another unknown... there are a lot of unknowns.

No comments:

Post a Comment